Wednesday 16 April 2014

Day 5 and Artistic Processes

After the loooooong break from class, Narendra decided to give us an easy day. So, we saw three films.
In The Mood For Love which was a film based on the south Asian politics. The artist has made the film in a ay that it can be treated commercial as well as artistic. It is upto the viewer to derive the meaning out of the film. Then we saw two films based on the lives of Mark Rothko and Jackson Pollock.
We were then asked to write a reflective note on what we think an artistic process is.

When I thought of becoming an artist/ designer at the age of 10, I thought that I would just walk up to a pretty landscape, put up my easel and paint. A term like Artistic process was not present in my dictionary. It wasn’t until very recently that it came into existence.

I did not think that the thought process that goes behind an art work could actually be the art itself. In our last class, we were made to watch the art processes of Mark Rothko and Jackson Pollock. Then, we all started to think about what an art process should be like.

After watching both the documentaries I was wondering if the art process had to be like theirs. Both the artists were unbound, easily inflammable, full of passion and mad.
If a layman were to see their art works, he would most probably laugh it off and say ‘a 5 year old could do that.’
But only after you see what got them to do what they did, would you see their artistic process.

According to me, an artistic process is subjective to everyone. One person’s artistic process can be completely different from the others. There is no way of saying that someone’s art process is wrong or right. It is something that goes on in the mind of the artist and no one can change it.

How Rothko and Pollock arrived at their art pieces is personal to both of them. Rothko bared down his art to just basic colours. He made his work minimalistic. Whereas, Pollock worked with abstract expressionism.

Mark Rothko was one of those artists who sat in front of his art piece, smoking his cigarette and just contemplating his next move. Whereas, Pollock was one of those artists who went with the flow and got annoyed when anybody stopped him.
Both of them wanted things to be done their way and if anything went out of place, they would lose their cool.
According to me, one’s artistic process begins when he starts to think about his basic idea and goes on until he delivers his final piece. The thought and work that goes into his piece donates to his process. Every mistake that one makes, adds to the learning. This, according to me is the best way of finding your place. Only when one makes mistakes, again and again does he figure out what he can do and what he aims to do.

While watching the film based on Pollock I came across a few things that I liked. I like the fact that he did not work for an audience. When he was working, he did not want anything or anybody to break his spontaneity.  When one of his paintings was selected to be displayed in four seasons, he went there to sit and observe the space. When he saw the kind of people who went and ate there, he said ‘Anybody who eats that kind of food with that kind of money would never look at my painting.’ and with that he refused to put up his painting there.

Hence, everyone has a different artistic process depending on the way they see and perceive things.

I do not know what kind of an artist process I am going to choose as right now I am just experimenting and trying to figure out what I want to do. Maybe this itself would be my artistic process. I am not sure. But, I am sure one day I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment